Monday, April 16, 2018

Landschaft

It'd been such a long time since last I was in the part of Germany where my mother grew up that I had forgotten what it looks like. Indeed, inspired by self-mocking stories of the Ochtruper Berg, Ochtrup's diminutive 60m "mountain" and the proximity of Holland, I'd been picturing pancake-flat landscapes from Dutch paintings! In fact there are rolling hills and woods; nearby Bad Bendheim even has a proper castle on an impressive rocky rise. In early Spring, as now, the tilled fields are blankets of bright green, and gauzy sprays of new leaf make the lower trees on forest edges a pale yellow. Forsythias and magnolias offer splashes of brighter color. This picture, taken taken from the train my misty last morning, doesn't quite capture it but it's pretty enough.