Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Unpresidented

At a gathering in support of refugees and immigrants at Foley Square (I was part of a group of Episcopalians who gathered on short notice at St Paul's Chapel and walked over) I made my peace with the "not my president" slogan. It's not my favorite, but I get it. It's not that I think the President illegitimate because of the electoral vote imbalance, or because our poisonous media environment included toxins sent from Russia with love. It's because his actions since taking office have made clear he has no interest in being the president of all Americans. He's had chances to recognize the legitimacy of those who love America in different ways than he does but hasn't taken any of them. Shame.

Are we doing better when we say "you will not divide us"? Let's try.