Saturday, January 28, 2017

Sweet hereafter

A Muslim American friend joined us for dinner tonight. I didn't know what I could say to her, as our government seems in the hands of crazies who want a world war between our religions. I'm sorry doesn't go far enough. I'm horrified seems belated. I'm heartbroken seems self-absorbed. As it happens, she brought this cake and some good news -
the judicial stay on the president's refugee ban. It's a reminder that the system might yet work in stopping this apocalyptic folly; a first bump in the road for a regime which will run roughshod over all our values and commitments, violating norm after norm in its gleeful seizure of arbitrary power, until it encounters resistance. Time for the party of Lincoln to defend the constitution he fought for. And God help us all.