Monday, November 17, 2014

Teaching vocation

Oh, I miss teaching! I had the great pleasure of addressing Fudan's Introduction to Religious Studies class this evening and, if I say so myself, I put on a pretty good and super-interdisciplinary show. I'm so used to the interdisciplinary gambit of religious studies that I take it for granted. But here it was news that I moved from theology to philosophy to sociological theory to lived religion - and then to the arts. Actually, it is quite a journey from Leibniz' Essais de Théodicée to Religion & Theater. Indeed, it's my journey over my now not few years in the field. (I'm thinking in Chinese: not few = 不少!) My kind host (who provided synthesizing translations after each slide) seems to have enjoyed the show, too. Perhaps I'll have more teaching opportunities in the Spring - and even a Chinese Religion & Theater adventure!