Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Summer plans

My summer plans have finally taken shape. I'll be flying to Istanbul on May 29th (for my first visit to Turkey), from Istanbul to Zurich June 9th (for a few days in the university library, a week hiking in Flims with my parents and an old family friend, and a stage adaptation of Joseph Roth's Hiob), back to NYC June 21st, onward almost immediately (the 23rd) to Melbourne (my sister's having a round birthday), from whence I return July 9th, to spend most of the balance of the summer in San Diego. There's a good reason for every part of it, but it does add up to rather a dusey of a summer! (I welcome recommendations for places to go and people to see, especially in Istanbul and Zurich.)

The map is from Native Energy's travel calculator, which tells me the nearly 29,000 miles of flying will produce over 11 tons of CO2. Which I'm paying to offset, of course. Travel gives me a guilty conscience now - though not guilty enough to give it up altogether, I guess! (I considered going from Europe on directly to Australia - that would have shaved nearly 10,000 miles off the trip - but the price proved prohibitive; I'm punishing myself with extra offset for those 10,000 miles.)