Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blessed shifting

"I'm shifting, I have to admit. In other words, I would willingly say I believe in civil unions. I don't officially support redefining marriage from its traditional definition, I don't think." Thus Richard Cizik (below), Vice President of Governmental Affairs of the National Association of Evangelicals, in an interview on an NPR interview show December 2nd. Fellow members of the NAE were outraged, and demanded his resignation, which he tendered today. He apologized, but the damage is done - glory halleluia! Thank you Rich. Your heart is true.

You might remember Cizik as the Evangelical who broke with the Religious Right pack on environmentalism (he calls it "Creation Care"), leading the way for many - especially younger - Evangelicals to reconcile conservative religious with more progressive political impulses. His "shifting" on gay marriage seems to me a very encouraging sign and portent. Like the Republican mayor of San Diego's very moving change of view on the question (watch the video if you haven't seen it). Feel the tide turn!