Sunday, September 07, 2008

Swingin'

In church today we sang one of my favorite hymns, Dickinson College. I'd always assumed it was the beautiful (if somewhat masochistic) words of St. Francis [but see here] that made it so moving, but there's another thing. I found this out two years ago when a colleague teaching a course called Politics of Music asked me to do a guest lecture on religious music. I told her I'd talk about hymns if that was OK with her (it was), and gave a three-part presentation starting with the importance of hymnals to the Reformation and ending with Evangelical controversies over love-song-to-Jesus like Praise & Worship music, by way of Bach's use of harmony in "Ein feste Burg" and his recycling of secular as sacred music and vice versa. But I also brought students copies of three hymns from the Episcopal Hymnal, including this one. "It's in 5:4," remarked my friend. It is indeed - 5:4, a great rarity in Western music, and unsettling or mysterious because so unfamiliar. In Dave Bruckeck's "Take 5," it's wonky. Here it gives such a sense of the interpenetration of movement and rest, of intimacy, of care, of overflowing feeling...