Monday, June 02, 2008

気分転換

Enjoyed a real change of air (one of the meanings of 気分転換) today: a sea passage to a strange Brigadoon of somewhat louche small town Americana of yore. Hard to believe, even as you're on the ferry back to Manhattan, that Staten Island could be quite so very different. Not different in a bad way. There's something strangely exciting about its difference, like the wonder of discovering unspoiled Ramnagar just across from Varanasi.

In a few days, by the way, I'm going for a serious 気分転換: a meditation retreat at the Insight Meditation Society in Barre, MA. So if I disappear from the blogosphere for ten days, rest assured that it's only transitory. (In fact I imagine the first days of silent meditation will be like being stuck in an endless web of internal blogs.) But first I'll be visiting a dear friend from graduate school near Worcester, so I won't take my leave just yet.