Saturday, December 08, 2007

Winter means soup

Have I mentioned that winter has arrived? Snow occasionally dances in the air, and sometimes surfaces leaves and branches of trees for short spells - the leaves are decisively gone. Temps hover from the 30s to the high 40s (under 10C). Time for winter soups! So today's project (besides seeing "The Golden Compass," good work and don't believe a word about the film having dropped the wonderful but profoundly anti-Christian plot) was going to the famous temple for foodies Zabar's to get a pressure cooker. This is the one I got - from Kuhn Rikon, a Swiss company the New York Times apparently described as the "Mercedes Benz of pressure cookers." Better still, it was on sale. And my first project - Linsensuppe (lentil soup) of course - was delicious, and ready in minutes! Now all I need is one of those soft light-as-air down duffel jackets everyone's wearing (the next project) and I'm all set for winter!