Monday, December 03, 2007

Water everywhere

Our snow is gone, but there's plenty of precipitation elsewhere. I understand very dry, indeed drought-stricken, places I know well have been getting rain in spades in the last day: two and a half inches in San Diego, and flooding in Melbourne (above)! I was going to say "strange" but it isn't strange anymore. One's come to expect freakish weather.

I feel a bit remiss for not mentioning Howard's decisive rout in the recent elections - he lost his seat too! - since this blog is advertised as having something to do with keeping Australia in mind. Today I can at least mention that his successor (imagine if we had so quick a succession in this country, instead of waiting most of three months from the first Tuesday of November to January 20th) has as his first act officially signed the Kyoto Treaty - not a moment too soon, since the Bali round will presumably supersede it.

By the way, I've decided to teach a seminar on "Aboriginal Australia and the Theory of Religion" or something like that in Spring of 2009, in case too many people at school have started to believe that I really went to Australia only to see my sister and "to find an apartment in Brooklyn"!