Monday, September 10, 2007

USPS spells OOPS

I got a parcel today! It was from me - sent by sea mail from the post office at Melbourne Uni on June 20th of this year. I was so excited opening it: I couldn't remember what was in it, though I vaguely suspected it was books connected to Australia and India. I was right for many of the books.

But I wasn't prepared for what else I found. The books were all jumbled up, a few torn, and there were three books which I've never seen before. (Belatedly I registered that the box had been retaped with U S Postal Service tape.) And someone else's appointment diary, a woman named Alisa ... ! Clearly my box and hers opened - were opened - at the same time.

What do I do? At the risk of seeming a stalker I wrote her an e-mail - her name and address are in the diary. I hope she's received a parcel with some of my books mixed in among hers and believes my story... and sends my books back, whatever they are!