Friday, September 14, 2007

The commuting life

I've joined the rank of commuters, those I used to sneer at with other Manhattanites as "bridge and tunnel" types. In fact I have the choice of bridge or tunnel. The 2 and 3 take me (from the Grand Army Plaza stop) under the East River to 14th St., a block from school; the B and Q take me (from the 7th Avenue stop) across the river - you can see the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue of Liberty, and lots of Manhattan skyline! - to West 4th., a few blocks from the university library, or to Union Square... (Click on the map above and see if you can find your way! Hint: 2, 3, B, Q.)

It's quite painless. Indeed, it can actually be a pleasure to have a 20 minute chunk of time to read on either end of your work day! Most times I can find a seat, too. 20 minutes is enough for a reasonably thorough scan through the New York Times (which also, incidentally, has slimmed down - but here I see the point, you can hold it, folded, in one hand). Or to make your way through a few scenes of a play you might be reading...