Thursday, July 12, 2007

Beautiful New York day

You'll have gathered that our heat wave has broken. (I was caught in the breaking, drenched yesterday evening by a downpour which wouldn't stop!) And so today was one of those lovely summer days when New York City seems like it must be the most wonderful place in the universe. How could I have doubted that it makes sense to stack so many people on top of each other in so narrow a place? When the air's clear and the sky a jewel blue you become aware of the air between the tall buildings as if it were a giant fresh-water lake - why not share the pleasure with the strangers along the busy, beautiful lakefront?

So, what did I do to take advantage of the glorious weather? Well, I walked through Chelsea in the morning, had an improvised lunch of aged chêvre, fresh baguette and raspberries with my mathematician friend J in the courtyard of our college, strolled through Washington Square Park in the mid-afternoon to the NYU library (to watch some videos for the course on "Religion & Theater" class I'm teaching with my friend C this coming semester), from the library along Bleecker Street past coffee-lover's paradise Porto Rico to Sixth Ave., where I took a bus all the way up to 72nd St., from where I walked up Broadway to my friends' place (stopping for a quick dinner at Ollie's Noodles - their "juicy small buns" are a good approximation of my great discovery in Taiwan). When I arrived at my friends' building the sky to the east was an opulent royal blue, but to the west out the window there was still color, as you can see. (No final confirmation on Brooklyn digs, in case you're wondering, but it seems a near certainty.)