Saturday, June 16, 2007

Where it all began

So I am indeed going to Sydney for a few days, leaving Tuesday and returning Friday. Part of me is worried I'll fall in love and conclude I've spent the year in the wrong city. Sydney's older, richer, flashier, and on one of the world's most beautiful harbors. Three days won't really be long enough to test my Melburnian friends' claim that Sydney's great for a fling but not for a relationship... Oh well, I'm not really into flings - though I have quite enjoyed my little trysts with Adelaide, Perth and Darwin!
It's reassuring to note that while Sydney was founded by Captain James Cook in 1788, half a century before Melbourne got started, the cottage where Cook was born (and built in 1755) is right here in Melbourne! It was brought over from Yorkshire in 1933, to celebrate the centenary of European settlement in Melbourne! (The postcard, at SLV, is from about 1945.) A bit twisted, in a way Borges might have appreciated. But can you get the better of your begetter by getting where its begetter was begot?