Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Embedding

To make finishing this darn manuscript my main activity without entirely giving up on Melbourne's pleasures, I'm trying a new schedule to embed the one within the other: walk or tram into the city and get a morning flat white at one of the city's myriad coffee shops (present faves include De Graves and the Café au Soleil, but I'm committed to trying many more), then park myself in the State Library for the day, a network of spacious reading rooms full of people from all walks of life. Lots of inexpensive Asian restaurants nearby should I get hungry. Then tram or walk back to Lygon Street. Sometimes, like today, I might nip down to St. Paul's cathedral for choral evensong at 5:15, and I suspect I might get in the habit of checking out what's happening at Fed Square, too...