Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hope!

I've been following the results from the mid-term elections breathless on nytimes.com (because they seemed slowest to call a race: after the trauma of the 2004 I'm not keen to get my heart broken again), restlessly hitting "refresh" every five or ten minutes while desultorily trying to read. (Fat chance!) At 3:36pm our time the number of House seats gained by Democrats jumped from 14 to 16, and I couldn't stop myself from jumping for joy, hands in the air! It isn't over until it's over, of course. And it would take years to dig out from under all the Bushies's shit even if there weren't more to come and one had more confidence in the Democrats. But... this feels like the first light of a distant dawn!!

(The first picture's from bigfoto.com, but the second's mine.)